Communication is an important form of getting information across to the other party
communication that is faced by any level in society.
Communication as a high impact tool
Communication is an important form of getting information across to the other party. However good, quick and effective deliverance is just as important as the attention span of most people today is very short, and this is especially so if the material being communicated is rather boring. Get all the info you need here.
The following are some recommendations on how to ensure the information being communicated is done so in the shortest possible time frame, and yet fully understood by the receiving party:
• Perhaps the most effective way of communicating information and having it understood is to ensure there is constant eye contact with the recipient, throughout the length of the communication session. This should also be done in a precise and quick time frame where the information is presented as concisely as possible.
• Getting the recipient to summarize and repeat, what has been communicated is also another method of ensuring the information is both heard and understood. This is also another way to ensure the content of the information stays the same as it was presented and there are no additions or distortions to the content.
• The language design and phrasing should also be in line with the recipient’s capability and understating levels. Talking to someone who is not savvy in the technical jargon used will not only be a waste of time and effort, but it would also seem pretentious to those around. This type of communication would not effective at all.
You Must First Understand Yourself And Your Mess
Problems usually arise when information dispersed is not really understood by the individual doing the dispercement exercise. This has a lot of negative connotations to it as the said information content may not be dispersed as it was first designed to represent. Here in lies the problem of good communication that is faced by any level in society, which more often than not, results miscommunication or misinterpretation of the said information.
There are three main components of communication, which affects the overall understanding of what is being communicated.
These would include the verbal, nonverbal and paraverbal platforms used.
The following are some tips on how to ensure the information is first thoroughly understood by the presenter before it is presented to others:
• By understanding the content of the message intended to be shared with others the individual presenting the message will ideally utilize either all three of the communications components, or at the very least two components at any given time. This will allow the recipient of the message the opportunity to fully grasp, both the content and its impact meant to be made through the communication session.
• When the content of the message is completely understood by the individual, he or she will be able to design or choose the suitable verbal, paraverbal or nonverbal messaging style that would effectively get the message across to the receiving party. Without this initial understanding factor, the individual would be hard pressed to make the presentation of the message impactful enough to get the desired results.
• Another important effect that is desired from thoroughly understanding the message content before presenting it, is that the consistency in the message itself will be presented in a way that is less confusing and inconsistent according to the perception of the recipient.
Communication is understanding yourself and your message
For most, the effective impacts desired out of a communicating exercise, comes from the importance of being able to invoke some level of emotion both from the presenter and the listener.
If the communication is well designed, with this important aspect dominantly featured, then the eventual results of the said communication exercise will bring forth the desired effects.
Learning how to identify and include terms in the speech pattern and body language will be very useful when trying to focus in invoking some sort of emotion from all involved.
Using appropriate trigger works and phrases is one way of achieving this emotional impact. “Painting” a picture with the choice of words used is the main idea behind the emotion invoking communication technique.
This is very important for the presenter who is focused on making the desired impact on the listener in order to get the results intended.
However it should be also noted that the use of great communication invoking emotions can be something that causes the opposite of the intended impact meant.
Therefore it is very important to identify beforehand the emotions that are being sought after, through the communication exercise, so that the words chosen will rightly describe the actual content of the message intended to be divulged.
The following are some recommendations as to the best use of words that will ideally invoke emotions:
• Using descriptive words and visual words to make it easy for the listener to “see” the picture in the mind’s eye would be one way of invoking the desired emotions.
• Using smiles and metaphors is another effective way of invoking the desired emotions into the content of the message to make it more impactful.
• There are also actual words that can be used to invoke strong emotions both in the presentation material and in the overall content intention.
Having the general gist of the message being lost in translation is especially possible when the body language used does not in any way reflect the actual message content intended for the listener. Therefore it is very important to ensure the appropriate body language is chosen and used to match whatever is being communicated. This is one of the most effective ways of reinforcing the message being communicated.
Whether it is for the intention of making a good first impression or for the intention of making a powerful and impacting presentation, the body language that accompanies the communication has to be spot on; otherwise the desired results will most certainly not be achieved.
Factors such as posture, firm handshakes, eye contact, fidgeting, animated movements, sitting positions, voice levels are all different body language tools that deserve a level of attention to ensure the correct use is parallel to the intended message.
Paying attention to the body language being shown by the listener will also help the individual identify the level of interest the listener has towards what is being communicated.
This is especially useful, as it can help the communicator change topic content, style or words and incorporate the ideal and appropriate body language movements to be used to attract the possible waning attention or even enhance the interested attention of the listener.
Studying the body language is an important first hand indicator as to how well the message in being received and understood. This is definitely an advantage to be fine tuned as it is important to ensure any communication exercise achieves the desired results it was first designed to reach.
Communication is all about the terms you use to invoke emotions
A large number of people whose careers depend on being able to identify the other parties reactions through the body language reading, will attest to the importance and effectiveness of its ability to enhance communication.
Any tools that can be used to enhance the communication exercise are definite exploring for its merits. Besides the more common recommendations such as body language and vocal tones, there is another equally interesting way to create optimum interest in the subject being communicated. This is the art of incorporating little nuggets of information that can spark the interest of the listener.
When it comes to perking the interest of the listener, the most common way to spark interest is to name drop. This has always been a crowd puller because by nature most people are rather inquisitive and want to know all about what others are doing or thinking. Therefore by name dropping the conversation now becomes more interesting and thus worth the time and effort to indulge in.
Giving out information that is attention grabbing is also another form of sparking the interest of the listener through the communication exercise.
Using facts and figures that create or imply shocking information that is little know, will add to the excitement levels of the communication content, thus encouraging and sparking even more interest.
Another way to help spark interest is to be well informed in the subject matter that is being discussed. People are often attracted to individuals who are well informed on the topic of discussion.
Projecting a seemingly commanding presence by the tone of voice and the topic chosen for discussion is also another way to spark interest from those around. Presentations that are made with voice tones and body language that personifies confidence will ideally create a resonance that attracts interest.
Using terms that are positive and encourage interaction is always a welcomed way to ensure participation, and this if often the ingredient that encourages interest. Most people enjoy some form of interactive communication as it allows them to ask questions and engage with others.